Getting a good fitting and comfortable cpap mask (snoring mask) is the key to cpap compliance. It doesn't matter how good your cpap machine is if you don't use it, and if the mask just isn't comfortable then compliance is likely to be much lower.
Some people even give up on trying to manage their sleep apnea rather than wearing a cpap mask.
Make sure you get a snoring mask that is comfortable. When you first use one there will be some level of discomfort. You probably will have to make some adjustments to the way you lie in bed, the fittings and possibly the way you wear the mask. But if you can't get comfortable then consider replacing it with a different type or brand of mask.
There is wide range of masks that accommodate people who sleep on their front, back or side and who are either mouth or nose breathers.
Some of the mask types include
- Nasal mask - that just covers the nose. This mask fits over the entire nose and is the traditional mask for nasal breathers.
- Nasal pillow - lightweight mask that sits under the nose. This mask is more lightweight and is designed to mitigate some of the pressure points and sleeping limitations of the original nasal masks. IT is good for side or stomach sleepers.
- Oral mask - delivers air only through the mouth and is designed for mouth breathers. While breathing through the nose is preferred method because it helps clean, pre-warm and humidify the air before it reaches the lungs, some people just can't manage it and only breathe through their mouth.
- Nasal prong - inserts into the nose so wearers can sleep in any position. Again a device only for nasal breathers.
- Full face - similar to the Nasal mask but covers the mouth as well as the nose. For those people who change their breathing between the mouth and the nose and also those who prefer to have the pressure of the mask distributed over a larger area.
- Total face masks - These masks seal around the entire face. They distribute the pressure of the mask over a larger area
- Hybrid models - combinations of the above designed to be more lightweight and interfere less with a wearer's sleep.
Return from Cpap Mask to Main Cpap Page